Closing date: December 01 2018 | Full time | Manufacturing
The QA Manager will provide an efficient and effective quality assurance service, ensuring product safety, quality & legality, as well as compliance with corporate and customer policies and procedures to the benefit of the business.
The role will support the Operational team in ensuring that all legislative, codes of practice and customer requirements in respect of food safety, quality and legality, are met for all products manufactured on site.
• This is a critical role in helping to deliver the overall site quality agenda and strategy, requiring cooperation with the Operational team to achieve the sites goals & objectives.
• Working with the production teams and customers, review the factory operation on a daily basis to ensure that products meet the Food Safety, Quality and Legality standards set by the company, customers and regulatory authorities.
• Champion the ‘Right First Time, Every Time’ approach to quality issues across the site.
• Maintain internal quality systems, including BRC, customer technical standards, and ensure that processes are in place to determine customer’s needs and expectations.
• Inspect the factory daily for compliance to company standards, identify any areas of non-compliance together with a root cause analysis, and proactively manage the corrective action plan to rectify any deficiencies.
• Attend all blending, process and packing trials. Ensure attendance at all first production runs and confirm that the product and packaging conform to the customer’s specification, and the necessary samples are submitted to the customer or third parties as required i.e. testing labs, Brandbank etc.
• Manage site internal audit schedule as per the FSQM system and ensure any non- conformances are identified, tracked and closed out by the relevant manager(s). Where necessary assist in drawing up a corrective action plan and monitor progress. Escalate to Technical Manager when non-conformances have not been closed out in a timely manner or where there is a risk to Food Safety, Quality or Legality.
• Investigate customer complaints and undertake a root cause analysis to identify on-going improvements to Food Safety, Quality or Regulatory standards to avoid a reoccurrence. Prepare formal customer complaint responses and KPI reports.
• Assist with managing the pest control programme and respond rapidly to any issues which pose a risk to products, raw materials or packaging.
• Investigate internal non-conformances and where applicable make a decision on disposition of any affected stock. Ensure that issues are recorded and communicated to the site wide team.
• Plan, prioritise and organise the work load of the QA & roving QA staff. Ensure they are fully utilised and completing tasks accurately and on time. Coach team members and support their individual development programmes.
• Attend daily production meeting and discuss any Food Safety, Quality or Legal issues or non-conforming materials/products/processes.
• Write factory ‘rework’ instructions for non-conforming products or materials etc. and compile the ‘Right First time’ costs.
• Manage and control the QA concession process.
• Positively release products in 3PL warehouses i.e. Boughey, XPO, or provide customer’s with positive release information or CoA certification as required.
• Take an active part in site customer and regulatory visits/audits. As a member of the site Crisis Management team ensure that you are familiar with the Premier Foods ‘Crisis and Incident Management procedure manual.
• Undertake supplier audits to ensure compliance to Food Safety, Quality and Regulatory requirements.
• Ensure that cleaning validation and verification processes are completed and documented, and are reviewed as required i.e. anniversary, new equipment, new line etc.
• Write QA work instructions for each of the operational departments.
• Key member of the HACCP team.
Essential Skills and Experience:
Minimum of 3 years previous experience in a Technical role working within a food manufacturing / Processing environment.
Hold an HND (or equivalent) or Higher qualification in a relevant subject area i.e. Food Science, Food technology.
Computer literate in MS Word, MS Excel, SAP.
Advanced Food Hygiene HACCP 4 and COSHH Level 3.
Awareness of Food legislation and Health & Safety.
Knowledge of non-conformance investigations, root cause analysis, GMP auditing, Raw materials assessments and Risk assessments.
Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
Strong communicator, with ability to engage at all levels.
Strong leadership / management skills with a results orientated approach.