Closing date: October 30 2020 | Full time | Manufacturing
Location: Adbaston, Stafford, ST20 OQJ
Salary: £competitive, subject to skills and experience
Knighton Foods is a UK manufacturer of instant dry powders for the food & beverage industry; supplying major retailers, co-food manufacturers, food service customers and brand owners. The company manufactures dry powders such as custard, skimmed milk powder, instant desserts, coffee creamers and hot beverages and has an annual turnover in the region of 60 million across 2 UK based sites.
The Knighton site, based in Staffordshire currently has c250 employees and is a 24/5 operation. The site has a number of processing capabilities and is the only UK operation of its kind to provide a co-packing facility, with 18 packing lines in total.
The tonnage for the site is circa 20,000 tonnes. There are approx. 180 finished goods SKUs, 216 Raw Ingredients, 515 packaging items, 442 semi-finished ingredients and 90 suppliers. The site has several complex processes that require an individual that has experience of working within a FMCG environment.
Reporting to the Operations Director, the Health, Safety & Environmental Manager is an autonomous role, operating as a key player within the site Leadership Team.
Working within a unionised manufacturing environment where continuous improvement is essential in all areas to support the business needs; the role holder will be expected to ensure the site complies with all statutory and company requirements enabling a safe work place, and act as site expert to ensure projects and strategies include full health, safety and environmental considerations. The role holder will further be responsible for promoting team ethics and developing team working through employee training and personal development.
The Health & Safety Manager is seen as a pivotal role within the business, responsible for driving cultural change in health, safety and environmental awareness through the involvement, engagement and empowerment of people to deliver improvements in the HS&E agenda.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Formulate, implement and review HS&E policies and procedures to ensure they promote the desired workplace culture, safeguarding the business and people.
- Advise site management on legal compliance and best practice, ensuring all current legislation is complied with and future legislation is understood and planned for.
- Personally demonstrate safe behaviour and takes responsibility for the management of health & safety of the site and its visitors.
- Ensure a risk assessment plan is developed and completed for the site and all hazards are assessed according to risk. Ensure risk assessments are considered for all activities and understand the content of risk assessments sufficiently to monitor and develop behaviours.
- Ensure an effective strategy and policy for accident, hazard and near miss reporting and that all staff are aware of the hazards in the workplace. Ensure timely reporting and action close-out.
- Immediately resolve all unsafe acts and conditions.
- Understand own health and safety responsibilities as laid down in the Company Health and Safety policy.
- Understand the responsibilities of managers and supervisors and ensure they carry out safe operating practices and procedures.
- Monitor the workplace to ensure that current control measures are meeting requirements and identifying opportunities for improvements.
- Be part of a proactive team that undertakes and ensures the effective implementation and follow-up of TOPS safety audits.
- Review and modify KPIs and ensure appropriate action plans are developed and implemented. Provide monthly data and report to Premier Central compliance team.
- Champion health and safety improvements.
- Ensure all accident investigations are completed within 24 hours. Suggest solutions and implement actions against agreed timescales.
- Work with Occupational Health to comply with health surveillance.
- Manage Health & Safety Management System to 18001 standard.
- Demonstrate green practices and encourage recycling and reduction in energy, water and CO2 output.
- Ensure the site considers all environmental risks to its surroundings.
- Ensure compliance to waste water disposal and surface water run off to the local river.
- Ensure regular spill kit audits are carried out.
- Investigate any environmental incidents and report to relevant authorities.
- Manage Environmental System to ISO14001 standard.
People Management & Development
- Monitor progress and gives constructive feedback to the Knighton team.
- Carry out fair and impartial investigations and, where necessary, disciplinary sanctions to the recognised level.
- Manage people via agreed company policies and procedures.
- Ensure all teams are aware of their specific health and safety responsibilities and targets.
- Develop teams via regular coaching and mentoring, training and leadership by example.
- Identify generic site training needs and ensure workable plans are in place to address these needs.
- Take responsibility for the design and ongoing delivery of the Knighton HSE induction. Design and deliver training as appropriate to meet site plans.
- Ensure that core training / competency requirements for self and own team are identified and that training plans are put in place.
- Promote team working by encouraging involvement from team members.
- Ensure relevant H&S related SOPs are available and used to ensure standardisation of tasks. Check and sign off the relevant H&S sections.
- Cascade all H&S KPIs clearly to all team members so that they are understood and aligned with the business objectives. Review performance against all KPIs and re-align and re-evaluate where necessary.
- Arrange regular review meetings with all departments to ensure the root cause of H&S issues are established.
- Actively support site wide briefings.
- Chair monthly H&S meetings and ensure attendance by senior managers.
KNOWLEDGE & SPECIFIC JOB SKILLS
- Educated to HNC level or equivalent in a related subject i.e. Business Management, Manufacturing, Engineering, Food Technology.
- NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent.
- Fire Risk Assessment qualifications.
- Degree or equivalent in a related subject i.e. Business Management, Manufacturing, Engineering, Food Technology
- Formal Management Training i.e. ILM or similar
Experience / Skills (Essential):
- Minimum of 5 years previous experience (or equivalent demonstrable experience) as Health & Safety Manager at a Manufacturing site.
- Demonstrable experience of managing and driving HSE cultural change and in delivering improvements to the HSE agenda in a manufacturing business.
- Strong background in setting and delivering H&S objectives.
- Able to prepare and present statistical reports. Experience of budget/financial management.
- Excellent IT skills, proficient in Microsoft Office. Self-sufficient, with excellent planning and organisational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
Experience / Skills (Desirable):
- Previous experience working within Food / FMCG environment.
CORE COMPETENCIES & BEHAVIOURS
- Able to coach and mentor others and act as an effective role model, championing required values and behaviours.
- Resilient and able to demonstrate a systematic, positive and ‘can do’ approach.
- Able to influence at all levels and to all stakeholders from factory floor to Board level.
Hours of Work
Monday – Thursday 08:30 – 17:00, Friday 08:30 – 16:00, 30 mins for lunch each day. The candidate will be required to work those hours necessary to fulfil the requirements of the position.
25 days plus Statutory
The Hamper (Rewards), LifeWorks (Employee Assistance), Company Pension, Free Parking, Subsidised Canteen